10 February 2008

Back at home

Yesterday I was reminded how much I missed being home. I missed the bright lights and banners, the food, even the jostling in a crowd of shoppers in 명동! It was wonderful spending the evening in Seoul with Sammi, being able to look up and enjoy Namsan Tower's beautiful glowing lights in the near distance. Malaysia was exotic and scenic, but for now this is my city, and it's great to be back!


Today

So glad Sammi & I met in 종로 instead of 명동 today. If we had been in 명동, I wouldn't have been able to witness firsthand what many Koreans saw on the evening news or online.

Between 시청 and 서울역 traffic slowed down and congested, and I could see a mass of emergency vehicles and news vans congealed around 남대문. The whole area shone with red and blue lights blinking in the midst of bright white floodlights. The area was enveloped in smoke. Firemen rushed up and down the stairs and I could see water running off the roof. As we sat nearby the smell of smoke -- smelled like a campfire -- permeated the bus.

From what I could gather online with my limited Korean, authorities suspect arson.

Wow. Barring the time Sammi almost got sick on the bus, that's by far the most interesting bus ride I've had so far.

No comments: