18 April 2009

Big TVs

Yesterday, as I was walking home from school, I passed through AK Plaza. Usually, I take the stairs outside, but as my coworker was with me, I decided to go inside (she really likes to shop).

Periodically, the Plaza will have something akin to a sidewalk sale; vendors will take their sale items and display them at tables in the mall's hallways. Yesterday, one of the electronics vendors had a table set up in the main hall that runs from the east side to the west side of the building.

KyungHee was on my left, and so as we walked by I had a chance to see what was on the TVs. There were about 4 TVs on display, all with high-def screens. On two were some really pretty pictures. On the other two, though, was something different: apparently it was a movie.

The first glimpse I got was a between-the legs shot of a woman in a swimsuit as she lay tanning on a boat. First of all, might I point out what a curious film choice that is in a public setting where people of all ages may see it?

Second, it was interesting that four ajeossis were standing around these two TVs, their eyes unabashedly glued to the screens. I'm sure they were only admiring the picture quality, which obviously couldn't be admired on the other two TVs.

Noticing the men, I quickly pointed it out to KyungHee. We both started laughing. And curse my slowness! By the time I managed to pull my phone out of my pocket to take a picture, there were people in the way of perhaps the best shot of my life! At least one of the funniest shots of my life.

Being Korean, KyungHee did what I, as a representative of Western society, couldn't do: she pointed and started talking about them as loudly as she could in order to attract attention to these four 'gentlemen,' possibly hoping to shame them into tucking their..tails between their legs and going home to their wives?

Which brings me to wonder: could I actually be filmed in that type of a scene? Not necessarily a swimsuit shot, but the camera angle on that was a little risque. I don't think I can. The thought of three types of people watching a scene with me would deter me:

1) my mom. I can only imagine the response I would get from her.

2) my grandmothers. How perfectly horrifying!

3) old men and middle school boys. Need I say more?

No comments: