23 July 2007

A Taste of Home

I know exactly what that means.

Today started out like any other day. Well, a few exceptions: I bought an alarm clock yesterday, which is a good thing because I forgot to charge my mp3 player, so I had a different sound wake me up; I snoozed a bit longer than usual, and I actually wasn't drenched in sweat once I got to work. But other than that, it was like any other day.

For lunch I enjoyed a tantalizing bowl of 비빔밥 (bibimbap, or mixed rice). I have been LOVING the food here. Korean food is awesome; it's such a delectable mixture of spices and flavors and well-being all rolled into one. And, for me, usually rolled into under five G won.

Today, 수정 gave me a ride home. She was headed to Seohyun station to pick up her mother, so she offered, and I accepted. She also showed me a bus stop closer to my flat than the one I had been using, which is wonderful, because that means that I'll sweat out exactly one pint of fluid less than usual. yay.

It was nice sitting at home at 4 p.m., and knowing that work doesn't start until 8:30 a.m. That's a wonderful feeling. It's also kind of a boring feeling, so I turned on the tv to watch some Korean kids' shows, which I think is the dorkiest way of learning Korean possible (no, kids shows are cool when you're little. Watch them when you're older, though, and you think, "What was wrong with me?"). But everything was ok until a commercial came up for chocolate-covered chex mix.

Craving. I'm not talking about a little, "mmm...that sounds good" craving. I'm talkin, "pregnant woman on a rampage" craving. I tried to fight it, but resistance was futile. I got up, put on my shoes, and booked it for Lotte Mart. Once there, the thought of peanut butter & jelly crossed my mind. Mistake. I knew that if I didn't buy peanut butter, jelly, and cereal, I would probably sock the next person who muttered "well-being" within the range of my hearing.

I ended up spending more than $15 on peanut butter, jelly, sandwich bread and milk. Not even a gallon of milk. That's the worst thing about Korea so far. Everything, especially Western food and meat, two of the things I'm most used to, is so EXPENSIVE.

But I got home and feasted, FEASTED, F-E-A-S-T-E-D on a pbj sandwich and chocolate frosted flakes. It was one of the best feelings in the world, eating that. In fact, I'm going to go back home and have some pbj apricots. That sounds really tasty.

No comments: