17 May 2008

Cheollanamdo Day 1

10 May 2008

I'm getting a little travel-weary. To be honest, I kind of miss 서울. I'm not sure if it's because I miss our usual haunts, or if it's the very agreeable person whose company I suspect I'll miss. But I digress. I really miss Seoul. And I'm really tired. This whole morning discipline thing is getting to me. Five hours of sleep a night for over a month...I'm fatigued. Apparently I have the am discipline down (mostly -- I still run the last 15 metres to work!) but am having issues with the pm discipline; I've been reading some really interesting books lately and it's hard to force myself to go to bed.

I decided three times not to go anywhere. The important thing, though, is that I decided four times
to go. A three-day weekend is just too much to pass up. So here I am...

In the little town of Hampyeong (함평). I woke up at 6 to catch the 7.30 to Jinju (잔주), decided it wasn't worth it, and promptly went back to sleep. The problem with waking up, though, is that one can never really go back to sleep. So I intermittently dozed on and off before I finally just decided to end my misery and get out of bed. The misery wasn't so much not sleeping; it was the indecision of whether I really wanted to go. I had packed my bags last night, and that ultimately was the deciding factor.

When I got to the bus stop I learned that the 10 o'clock was full and the next bus would leave at 1. Granted, I'm a foreigner, but who's even
heard of Jinju?! I certainly hadn't until yesterday when my coworker 석남 told me to go there to reach Jirisan (지리산) Park. But apparently a whole busful had heard of it and had been diligent enough to buy a ticket before I could...

So I got one to Gwangju (광주). There are two Gwangju's: one in Gyeonggido just 15 minutes from my house, and the one in Cheollanamdo (천라남도), which takes a bit longer to reach. I'm talking Cheollanamdo. I figured I'd just hit the western side of the park rather than the eastern. Looks like actually reaching Jirisan summit will have to wait until a later trip.

Unlike most trips, I consulted neither Moon nor LP en route (I brought Moon with me, as it seemed to contain more details). Instead, I pseudo-dozed. It seems like everytime I was about to sleep my mind would snap and wake me up. I know that I did sleep once, because I woke up to a different song on my mp3 player.

The man sitting next to me obviously had no problem sleeping on the bus. I had the problem with him sleeping on the bus. He tended to lean. Being in the window seat, he usually rested against the window, but occasionally he would reposition himself and I would find myself leaning as well. At one point he was practically horizontal; consequently, so was I. He woke up, saw me leaning away from him with a rather bemused look, and immediately settled himself against the window and fell back asleep. It reminds me of the Mr. Bean episode where he falls asleep in church.

The trip was shorter than I had expected. Traffic was nasty around Seoul but surprisingly we were speeding along within an hour. 대용 texted me at a rest stop in 정주. I told him I think we were still north of 대전, but later when I looked at a map I realized that Jeongju is about 2/3 of the way through the trip. The whole ride lasted less than 4 hours.

At the Express Terminal I was indecisive once again (looking back, this seems to have been the theme of my weekend). When I'm with other people, I'm not domineering, but alone I know what I want to do and I do it. Unfortunately, the only thing I wanted to do was go back to Seoul and see... I've never really felt alone when traveling before, but it was an acute feeling this time; I think it's just the fact that my companionship last weekend is such a contrast to my solitude this weekend. Three too-short days managed to spoil me.

Originally I had planned to go to Gurye (구례) today, which is only a short bus ride to Jirisan Park. But that leaves the issue of my baggage. I could sleep there tonight, but I wanted to sleep in Gwangju Sunday night so I could make an early bus back to Seoul; 대용 and I had agreed to meet up if I could make it back early enough. If I didn't purchase a room for two days, though, I'd have no place to leave my extra bag; I think Gurye is a small town and I doubt its Express Terminal will have locker storage.

I finally decided to get a room in Gwangju for two days, and just go to Jirisan and return in the same day. That left me with another decision: get a room near the Express Terminal and take a bus home, or get one near the train station and take a train home? The train would be more convenient and comfortable, there was a variety of lodging around the train station, and traffic wouldn't be an issue, but would there be an available seat? More importantly, would I want to sleep near the train station and wake up earlier tomorrow in order to get the earliest ride to Jirisan?

대용 helped me make a decision. He suggested I hit up Hampyeong tonight to see a festival there. I know that I wouldn't want to go to the train station, get a room, return to the bus terminal, catch a bus to Hampyeong, return to the bus terminal, then go back to the train station, only to wake up early tomorrow morning and return to the bus terminal. Bus terminal lodging it is.

Apparently the only lodging within walking distance is of the love motel variety. I looked for the least seediest (the one without the curtained garage doors) and booked a room. I did have to call a few times before the owner came down; I'd imagine she usually doesn't have renters before 9 o'clock. I'll admit, though, the frosted windows and red & black curtains certainly lend a welcoming, homey feel...

Back to the bus terminal. I bought a ticket for Hampyeong and tried to get one for the 8:20 to Hwaeomsa (화엄사) tomorrow, but I can't purchase it in advance.

The scenery en route to Hampyeong was as picturesque as other areas in Cheollanamdo, but I was too tired to take it in. I mostly dozed.

There as a teenager sitting next to me, with a group of two friends. Around the beginning of the ride -- while we were still in Gwangju, actually -- he tried putting his pineapple slushie in the cupholder in front of him. I saw this just as he was turning back towards the aisle to talk to his friend and thought, "That's going to fall out." Maybe I jinxed it, because just then it did.

It was like slow motion. I don't know if I could have stopped it, but I didn't try. Maybe it was that my fatigue had put me into zombie mode and I didn't even think to react. Or maybe, just as likely HA!, I subconsciously wanted to punish him for being stupid enough to put his cup in an obviously too-small cupholder. Either way, it came crashing to the ground and erupted pineapple juice all over the floor.

He didn't know what to do. His friends laughed at him, then managed to scrounge up some tissue which couldn't even begin to clean up the mess. So I spent my ride in a half-zoned state surrounded by yummy pineapple juice scents.

Hampyeong is a very interesting place. It is like a huge city-wide carnival. Right now it's hosting the 2008 World Butterfly and Insect Expo. I'd like to see it when it's not in festival mode; I bet it's a sleepy hamlet contrasting the bright and loud atmosphere I witnessed.

It was amazing. Outside the Expo the city is a sea of white food tents. One particularly large dining area featured a performer to entertain the guests. Her crooning (I believe it's a she...sounded like a man, but wore a dress) could be heard across the grounds. The band was good, she wasn't, but it was still fun. The Expo itself was beautiful. The grounds were colourfully decorated, and the lamps even had giant plastic caterpillars which housed speakers for public announcements. I'm sure it would have been so much nicer if I could have gone inside.

Entertainer at a dining tent

That's right. I arrived around 7; it closes at 5. Just as I found this out at the ticket gate, 대용 called me to let me know. He must have been checking it online and found out. He apologized, but I told him it's OK; there are still plenty of other things to enjoy.

Butterfly Expo...from outside the gate

It seems the town had spent a fortune to prepare for the Expo. The roads were freshly paved and the sidewalks freshly laid. There was still dirt everywhere from the construction work. Flowers and small conifers had recently been planted beside the sidewalks; the grass hadn't begun to grow yet. On the top of a small hill near the Expo was a large rock that was brightly lit. I headed there. The hill, and the view it provided, were both lovely.



Carnival outside the Expo

At one point as I was walking down the road a car pulled over and a woman stuck her head out the window to ask me where the Expo is. Her face registered surprise when she saw me, and she almost stuck her head back in to drive away, but I gave her directions, also informing her that it's closed. Weird. That's the second time today that somebody has asked me for directions. I feel like Sammi. How can they mistake me for a Korean girl? Kory girls are never scrubbed out like I am. Scrubbing out for them takes a considerable amount of preparation to make themselves appear scrubbed out. I just scrub out because I'm lazy and want to be comfortable.

After about two hours I headed back to the Express Terminal to catch the last bus. That's something to get used to out here. All the buses shut down so early.

No comments: