19 May 2008

Cheollanamdo Day 2

11 May 2008

The first bus left at 8:20. As I lay in bed this morning I decided to catch the second bus. Really, I'm totally not motivated on this trip. I'm lying down on a granite seat outside the Express Terminal, enjoying the sunshine. The next bus leaves around 11. I can't believe I'm actually keeping up with my journaling. Usually I'm too busy. If I was with someone I wouldn't even do this. The only reason why I journaled Seoraksan is because I started before I met 대용, and I hate leaving things incomplete. Right now I'm tempted to buy a book at the Yongpoong bookstore inside the terminal, but 1) I don't want to have to lug it around, and 2) I only want to buy books at Kyobo because then I can get rewards points.

I have nothing to say so I'm done for now.

* * *

Wait in the morning, rush in the afternoon. What fun.

I got to the Hwaeomsa bus stop around 12:30. I asked the driver what time the last bus was, and he told me it leaves at 1. I knew this wasn't true because I could have sworn that a bus left Gwangju around 16.25. He obviously didn't understand my phone dictionary Korean. I just decided to work on my own conclusions, as usual. If the bus leaves Gwangju at 16.25, it would arrive at Hwaeomsa around 18.05, giving me 5 1/2 hours of free time. Moon listed the hike to Nogodan (노고단) as 4 hours. Crunch time.

Why am I always experiencing crunch time?!

It took me about 15 minutes to reach Hwaeomsa. It was a beautiful complex, but I wasn't really in the mood to fully appreciate it; I had to continue quickly in order to reach my destination, this was my third mountain temple in three weeks, and mountain temples just seem weak in comparison to Duryunsa. The preparations for Buddha's birthday, though, were impressive. As usual, the complex was covered in paper lanterns, but this was the first time I was able to witness monks hanging prayers on the lanterns. The shrines were beautiful. In addition to multiple gold-plated Buddhas and Buddhavistas, there were pyramids of small lit candles. Flanking the Buddha in the center were two white pillared candles with painted dragons sculpted on. This was a magnificent sight.

Monks hanging up prayers


Pretty lanterns!


The gate to the monks' quarters was open, so I got a glimpse inside as I walked by. It's a long chain of rooms, each with a wooden floor and a pile of bedding. It kind of reminded me of palace servants' quarters in K-dramas, but at the same time it looked quite modern. Walking along were some monks-in-training, about 14 or 15, with shaved heads.

Snap some pix and time to go.

Hwaeomsa to Nogodan is a 7 km hike. The first 30 minutes or so is a bamboo forest. This took a good 2 km out of the hike, and thankfully it was an easy 2 km.

The next 5k -- not so easy. I figured that if I could manage 2 km/hour, I could make it to the top by 3:30, leaving 2.5 hours to get back to the bus stop in time for the last bus.

Of course I would
have to leave by 4p at the lastest. Which means that I'd go as far as I could, then turn back. As exhausted as I was, I didn't really expect too much of myself, and my tired side and competitive side were waging a battle about whether I'd summit.

How is it possible that a steep, strenuous 3-hour climb could energize somebody? But it did. About halfway up I realized that I had to reach the top. My pace quickened. Short bursts of energy hit me just as I turned a bend and got dejected by the sight of more steps. Twice on the way up I was encouraged by people coming down. One guy gave me a thumbs up. A woman said, in Korean, "Good job." Her daughter quickly said, in Korean, "Mom, she's a foreigner. Say [in English] 'Excellent.'" I couldn't help but laugh at that. I was tempted to say "맞어" but I didn't want to embarrass the mother. Those two people reminded me that even small acts of kindness can uplift and energize somebody.

Then I ran out of water. Moon had mapped a spring about halfway to Nogodan, but either it dried up or I missed it. Regardless, my mouth was dry and I was sweating out a river without replenishing it. For me, water is like a safety blanket. My aching legs, the sights of more steps and my empty water bottle affected me physically and mentally. Gawd. How pathetic. I can imagine myself in a desert; I'd just curl up on the sand and wait for the vultures...

I was actually at the point where I was seriously considering filling my bottle in the crystal-clear creek. Even the thought of people wading in the water upstream wasn't a deterrent. The thing that did stop me, though, was the thought of microbacteria and how it could adversely affect my digestive tract on the bus ride home tomorrow.

I'm naturally a fast walker, which makes me a fast hiker. A fast hiker with a time limit, determined to summit, becomes a faster hiker. I was catching up to some people, and as I got closer, I began to wonder if they were white. I finally caught up to the last person. He nodded at me, and I waved to him; we were both too short of breath to actually speak. He joined his group on a large rock, and I sat down for a break as well. It was almost 3:30, I had 1.5 km left, and I was thinking about turning around.

We didn't talk much. Just hello's all around, and I didn't really look at them. I was thinking about where I could find some water. Then he asked me if I lived in Bundang. I looked at him, and he DID look familiar. He's Geoff, a guy in a rock-climbing group on Facebook. How weird, to travel for 4 hours and run across somebody that you actually know. We talked a bit. I told them that I was getting ready to turn around so I could catch my bus, but they managed to persuade me to continue. So I got up, we wished each other luck, and I left.

It was only about 10 more minutes til I reached the ridgeline. It was beautiful. I love the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies the completion of a particularly difficult hike. But I wasn't finished, not yet. My goal was the Nogodan mountain hut, and as far as I had already come, I wasn't about to stop. The road to the mountain hut is not steep, and it was a rather pleasant walk. When I reached it, I filled my water bottle, drank half, and filled it up again. There were trails and signs leading away from the mountain hut. I checked my time: 3.30. I could make it to the pass by four, I was sure.

View from the ridgeline

The way to the pass was steep, but more relaxing. When I reached the pass another lone hiker and I traded photo shoots, then I began to head down. I could see the peak in the distance, but I knew I couldn't reach it quickly. But I had exceeded my goal, so I could leave satisfied.

Nogodan Pass

As I was coming down I ran into Geoff and his friends again. One of them informed me of a bus that actually goes from the mountain hut to Hwaeomsa. It was tempting...but I had planned to hike up and hike down; to do any less would leave my task incomplete. So I began the knee-jarring, dangerous trek back down.

I arrived back at the Hwaeomsa bus stop just before six. I stopped by a CVS nearby and picked up some water (the mountain hut water was refreshing at first but had a funky taste) and a Korean snickers, then returned to the bus stop.

Around 18.05 a bus to Gurye arrived, and I hadn't yet seen the bus to Gwangju. I decided to try my luck on the Gurye bus and try to catch a ride to Gwangju from there. The bus driver was very kind and informative; he spoke with the passengers, and when I saw the terminal and tried to get off, he told me to wait, as the bus actually stops at the terminal. At the Gurye terminal I caught a bus to Gwangju, and settled in. I had accomplished everything I had set out to accomplish. My long day was complete.

No comments: