20 August 2009

Korealist 2009: 19

19: visit Seodaemun Prison

Oops. This is really late, since I've been in the US for over a month. But so are the next two posts, so it's not that bad.

On 27 June Anna & I checked out Seodaemun Prison, and I still remember how I felt. The English descriptions were a little bit funny; it would say what a certain document is, and apparently the English-speaker is supposed to know its significance, etc. Since we've all taken university-level courses on occupation-era Korean history?

Of course the creepiest part was walking through the sections with the figurines undergoing torture. I decided that that'd be the perfect place for a haunted sleepover dare. But I think the worst exhibit was where they were torturing a female prisoner; they were doing the 'shove the needle under the fingernail' that really grosses me out everytime I think about it. I had seen it in a movie and it had grossed me out then, and as I type I'm getting a little nauseous thinking about it.


Anna really puts the horrors of the prison into perspective in this rather candid photo

No comments: