20 August 2009

Korealist 2009: my accomplishments and my deferments

I'd hate to think that I can fail at anything. Rumour has it that I can, but I beg to differ. Therefore, I'd prefer if everyone think of my failures as...deferments. To be accomplished next time I go to Korea.

So, to recap the list:

1. Tour the three Seoul palaces I haven't yet visited: 창덕궁, 창경궁, & 경희궁
On 24 May, D & I went to 창덕궁, and on 27 June, Anna & I did a quick walk-thru (it was hot, and there was nothing significant there!) of 경희궁. 창경궁 is deferred.

2. Climb Mt. Bukhan
Done

3. Watch a Bears baseball game in Jamsil
Done. Twice.

4. Watch an Ilhwa soccer game.
Deferred. Might be exchanged for Seoul FC.

5. Buy a nice camera a whole day wandering around Seoul, taking pictures.
I bought the nice camera, and I've wandered around Seoul (and other areas) multiple times, but I never got quite the picture that I wanted (a clear shot of N. Seoul Tower at night). So defer the N. Seoul Tower shot til next time.

6. See the giant free-standing Buddha on Songnisan.
Deferred.

7. See the parted waters in Jindo.
I went. I walked. I waded. I wondered.

8. Actually visit Busan.
Done.

9. Actually visit Japan.
Technically, I stopped in Tokyo on a layover. Does that count? If not, deferred.

10. Eat live octopus
Done.

11. Do my taxes in August.
I don't think I technically have to do my taxes, since I didn't make any money in the US. I guess I'll find out when the IRS comes knocking.

12. See Dokdo
Deferred.

13. Visit the folk village in Yongin.
I'm still not sure if this should have been a priority. I just kinda threw it on cuz it's one of those things you're supposed to do. But, ok, deferred.

14. Master past tense
I may have forgotten it, but done.

15. Learn future tense
Ditto on 14

16. Buy a new mp3 player.
I wasn't sure if my phone would work with a US carrier (it doesn't) so I never actually did this while in Korea. But happily, my dad doesn't know how to use the one I bought for his birthday last year, so my mom "gave" it to me. Preloaded with the Eagles and Air Supply. Sweet. It's the gift that keeps giving.

17. Buy external memory
Done. And it's almost kinda full.

18. See the Zen Rocks in northern Seoul
Done.

19. Visit Seodaemun Prison
Done

So, the grand total

Done: 10
Deferred: 4
Questionable / halfsies: 3
Totally unnecessary in retrospect: 2

And, I managed to squeeze in two extras that I didn't list, but should have: 두륜산, and...

대청봉! @ 1708 metres



Those that have been deferred/halfsie'd will be composing Korealist: 20_ _. Here are some other early frontrunners that may make the cut:

  • Conquer Mt. Jiri, SK's tallest mountain
  • Scan Jeju's beauty from atop Mt. Halla
  • Photograph a sunset from Taean Coastal park
  • Actually go somewhere in Gangwon-do that ISN'T Seoraksan
  • Check out Gyeongsangdo, which I heartlessly ignored over the last two years (this includes forcing HaKyung to redo Sobaeksan just for the fun of it^^)

No comments: