24 March 2009

팔순

I haven't been to a traditional Korean celebration in years. I think the last time was for my grandma or grandpa's 60th birthday, when I was under 10.

So I didn't really know what to expect when my uncle asked me to come to my grandma's 80th birthday party (팔순). Coming from work and a lunch date with my friend, I was in an oxford, jeans, and a sport coat; I'm so happy that I actually asked my uncle about dress code: church clothes.

Of course I was late. I changed, printed a map of the place, and promptly left it on my desk. Normally, it's about 1 1/2 hours away, but I managed to make it longer. I thought catching a bus to Yeouido would be a quick route. Little did I know that it goes through Gwacheon, Sadang station, and apparently all the side streets in southwestern Seoul. Despite the few cherry blossoms I caught glimpses of, I was not especially thrilled when I arrived in Yeouido an hour and a half after I left.

After another 45 minutes on the subway, I arrived at Galsan Station. Although I didn't have the map, I could remember exit two and something about GM/Daewoo. After emerging from exit 2, I saw some GM plant across the street and started walking. After about 20 minutes, and realizing that I was approaching another subway station (and watching a man vomit on the sidewalk just feet from me--it's 6:45 for crying out loud!), I decided to ask for directions (not from the vomit guy). A man pointed me in the right direction: the direction from which I had come. After about 10 minutes, I stopped some ladies; they told me to keep going. After about five more minutes, I walked into a CVS and asked the cashier; she pointed me in the same direction. Finally I saw the place. There it was, just feet from exit 2... (>_<)

I can pretty much sum up the party with one word: awkwarrrd. Based on my limited Korean and my family's limited English, I was limited to eating (in true Korean fashion, they kept bringing me food) and communicating via...a 9-year old. LOL. I spoke a bit of Korean to my family, and then they rattled off fluency-requiring Korean at the speed of light; the funny part is that after witnessing my blank stare, they had the 9-year old (Minju) translate even simple questions. Between so many relatives I must have said that I'm leaving in July at least 5 times. I also had to keep repeating that mom, dad, and Austin are all doing well, I live in --si, I work at --Jung Hakgyo, and yes, I'm MyongJa's daughter. All through a 9-year old. She's a cute kid, and her English is excellent. I'm considering hiring her.

In addition to wanting to give my grandma her gift, I wanted to see what the ceremony would entail. My aunts wore matching hanbok, while my uncles wore suits. I wish I could have seen what happened in the hour before I arrived, like if there was any ceremony or if they insa'd or anything. Dang. I hate that bus.

No comments: